Dear 4B Parents,
I hope you all had a great (warm!) weekend celebrating Dr. King and his world-changing legacy.
Girls on the Run: Registration for the Holy Rosary Girls on the Run team is in full swing! The lottery will close on Friday, January 24th, so please sign up before then. To register, please visit https://www.gotrpugetsound.org/Program-Registration. If you have any questions please contact me at email@example.com.
- 1 or 2 favorite recipes of your choice written down with a note as to why you chose the recipe
- The categories to choose from are: Breakfast, snack/side dish, main dish and dessert.
Please submit your recipes to Karla Lawson by January 27th.
- Friday, January 24th: Primrose Planting We are planting on Friday so that the grounds will look nice for the opening Mass and Open House on Sunday. Students may wear jeans/free dress on Friday. They may also bring planting tools if they like. Please label them with your family name.
- Sunday, January 26th: Mass and Open House. The Catholic Schools Week Mass will be at 10:30. The Open House and reception will take place from 12:00-1:30. Please plan to attend one of the weekend Masses to help celebrate the start of Catholic Schools Week. Students are asked to wear their uniforms to all masses on the weekend! Thank you.
- Monday, January 27th: Students should wear Gator Gear or CYO gear today. CYO pictures will be taken for the yearbook. Look for some special letters of appreciation for parents today—one in your child’s filer and one in your email. We will also have an All-School Bingo and Read-in for the last hour of the day.
- Tuesday, January 28th: Community Appreciation/Outreach The 4thgraders will be delivering certificates today from 10:30-12:30. This is a perfect uniform day (red HR sweatshirt or sweater) for 4th graders during their certificate delivery. I will be sending out information to all parents that have signed up to drive/chaperone this field trip with directions. Thank you so much!
- Wednesday, January 29th: Grandparent Lunch day Perfect uniform day. No homework—spend some family time together!
- Thursday, January 30th: Perfect uniform day. Spelling Bee Day Grades 1-4 at 8:30 and Grades 5-8 at 9:30.
- Friday, January 31st: 80’s Theme Day! The Spirit Assembly is from 9:30-10:45. In the afternoon the crowd pleasing 8th grade vs. teachers volleyball game starting around 1:30.
Look for additional information in the eFC. Most importantly, Catholic Schools Week is an opportunity to celebrate our wonderful school and community!
Religion/Second Step: Last week, students shared their Corporal Works of Mercy posters. They worked on the the important skills involved in working with a group: cooperation, compromise, perseverance, and more. Next, we will dive into learning about the Liturgical Year. You can find resources here.
Our Second Step lesson this week will focus on joining in. Students will learn how to be assertive when engaging in activities as well as notice when others are being left out. Next week, we will start a focus on Understanding Complex Emotions. This is very important as children begin to navigate their changing emotions and how to handle them appropriately.
Along these lines, we will be reviewing and reinforcing our classroom and school behavioral expectations. We have much to learn, and respecting the learning environment is always expected. The skills that will be reinforced are active/respectful listening, using kind/respectful words and actions and following directions quickly and respectfully.
Reading/Language Arts: This week we will continue our focus on the Civil Rights Movement. The students are reading the biography of Cesar Chavez.
Spelling lists were sent out last Friday for Lesson 19 The test will be this Friday. Next week there is not a spelling test. We will also be conducting our classroom spelling bee this week to determine our finalists for the School Spelling Bee next Thursday.
Math: Last Friday, we began flexible grouping in 4A and 4B. These groupings give us opportunities to better support each student and her/his strengths and needs. Both classes will cover the same standards with added support and enrichment as needed. All 4th graders will continue to practice multi-digit multiplication. It is imperative that all students master their multiplication and division facts. Please continue to have your child work on Xtra Math until all facts are mastered and reviewed. Thank you!
Social Studies: Look for corrected NE/SE/Midwest tests in your child’s filer that were sent home last Friday. The students will be tested on the West/Southwest States on Tuesday, February 4th. The 50 State test will follow quickly on February 13th. Students can be practicing for both tests beginning now! Remember to review the abbreviations as well.
Science: This week, we are continuing to go through the Engineering Design Process to create working windmills. We are starting the Plan and Create phases as we test out how much weight our windmills can lift. The only power source will be wind!
- Continued math fact review until all multiplication and division facts are mastered for speed recall.
- Daily Math Practice
- Spelling Test on Friday for Lesson 19
Have a wonderful week everyone!